Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Home for the Holidays: Sage and Sausage Stuffing



Well, I am so sad to say, but won't I won't traveling to New York City for Thanksgiving. Tim, the husband, will be on a trip, so I'll be staying close to home doing cooking segments for Fox 4 Rising every Monday. They have me all November cooking up twists on traditional Thanksgiving recipes. I know in my family, it's a federal crime to tweak any family recipe, so it willl be interesting to see if any other television veiwing family follows the same code of cooking.
In December, I plan to feature Christmas recipes as well as cocktail/holiday open house recipes. I'll be having my own holiday open house party, so I'll make sure I keep you all posted on what I'm serving up!
I know my blog is dedicated to travel and eating, but what happens when a devoted, wanderlust cook is grounded? They cook. So one of my most requested Thanksgiving recipes that is not my own can be found below. Nana's famous Sage and Sausage Stuffing. This one is for the mechanics of Trans States Airlines I fed a couple years ago and still ask for this recipe. Here you go guys.
NANA's SAGE and SAUSAGE STUFFING
1 Bag stuffing bread cubes or 2 baguettes (long French bread), stale, cut into 1-inch cubes (the boxed bread cubes can be used, but not the same!)
1 pound ground pork sausages, (tube of Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage)
1 large onion, dice (about 2 cups)
5 stalks celery, diced
6 to 8 branches fresh sage, coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon ground sage
2 cups turkey or chicken stock
1 stick butter (1/2 cup), melted1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

OPTIONAL ADD-INS: Add chopped apple, dried cranberries, sautéed mushrooms, sliced fennel for a different variation.

DIRECIONS:
Brown sausage meat, breaking up meat into pieces about the size of a quarter. Transfer meat from skillet to large bowl, using a slotted spoon. Add onion and celery to the skillet and cook till just soft. Place mixture in bowl with sausage.
Add bread cubes and sage to the bowl. Toss in stock and melted butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Generously butter a 16-inch baking pan. Spread the mixture in the pan and dot with more butter.Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. The top should have a nice golden brown crust.

1 comment:

Oscar D.Bravo said...

Without fail, Shell's famous stuffing is asked for and about by the greatest corps of mechanics known to man.. The Transstates mechanics, servicing Waterski planes in all conditions, with a certain Matt C. at the helm... The best....