Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Make Mine a Moroccan Mint Tea


A three hour shopping mission through winding mazes of souks in Marrakech can do real damage to pale winter skin and Michael Kors sandals. As my shopping high began to melt from the hot North African sun, I realized what I really needed a cold iced tea to take my attention away from the annoying orange grit rubbing between my toes and tingeing my new sandals.

My husband and I looked for the first cafĂ© in sight to sit and regain our strength and will to walk back to the hotel. As we sat and tried to order an iced tea, we learned there was no such thing as iced tea, but the waiter recommended hot Moroccan Mint Tea. Ugh. Hot tea was just what we needed on a 105˚ day.

But alas! When in Rome (or Marrakech) do as the Romans do. At first sip, the warm earthy, herbal concoction actually started working its magic. The aromatics of the mint, health properties of the green tea and the sugar were just the right elixir to stir our spirits.

To Moroccans, Mint Tea is a symbol of hospitality and friendship. After experiencing various modes of travel throughout Morocco, it’s no surprise this drink is a given in a spirit of benevolence. In the Moroccan countryside, a seemingly simple trip to a friend’s house in a nearby town is usually made by either mule, horse drawn cart or an unconditioned car from the 1970’s.

A dark brew of Green tea is the actual base of the famous Mint tea. The show begins as the hot tea is poured from high above the tea cup from an hand-hammered sliver teapot with extra-long spout. The height and drama of the pour ensure a frothy cap to the tea which Moroccans prefer.As the hot liquid fills the glass, fresh sprigs of mint infuse the tea with their fragrance and liquid.

In the Moroccan version of hot tea, tea cups are replaced with jeweled toned glasses, about four inches high, adorned with elaborate and ancient gold leaf designs. Cone or cubes of brown natural sugar are served on the side to add for your desired sweetness.

As a person who doesn't actually like mint, I like this tea! As we finish our second serving of mint tea, I realize I am feeling refreshed. I am not noticing my burnt shoulders as much and feel ready to trek my way back into the souks. Perhaps now that I am refreshed, I can find that perfect shade of orange slippers!
MOROCCAN MINT TEA
6 fresh mint sprigs plus extra for garnish
3 teaspoons green or black tea
3 tablespoons sugar
4 cups water
Boil water and combine mint and loose tea and sugar in the teapot. Let steep, stirring once or twice, for 3 minutes. Pour tea through a tea strainer into tea cups to serve. Garnish with remianing 4 sprigs of mint.

3 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

There is just nothing like that tea! I had some Moroccan friends when I lived in MA and I used to LOVE when they made the tea and served it in those beautiful glasses - I think I need to go make some RIGHT NOW.

Welcome to The Foodie BLogroll!

Anonymous said...

That Mint tea sounds wonderful, but then I love mint. Says even more about it that you enjoyed it and aren't even a mint lover!

Shelly Connors said...

Tell me about it! It's sounds bizarre to consume a hot minty beverage in such extreme heat, but it actually has a cooling effect!