Thursday, June 19, 2008

GAMBAS AL AJILLO-Shrimp kissed with Garlic love!

Sometimes simplicity says it all. Garlic, shrimp and sherry. The Spanish know how to treat shrimp right. The key is buying the right shrimp. Lucky for me, I live on the Gulf Coast and the large pink shrimp are sweeter than pie! This is a great appetizer served with warm crusty bread. Enjoy!

GAMBAS AL AJILLO

· 1 lb fresh gulf pink shrimp, 25 count to a pound
· 4 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
· 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
· 1 tsp red pepper flakes
· 2-3 oz dry Spanish Sherry
· 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
· 3 tsp chopped fresh parsley
· 1 lemon for juice
· 1 Baguette
.
Serves 4 as an appetizer
The shrimp can be peeled first, before cooking them if you prefer. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan and sauté garlic and red pepper flakes for about one minute. Lightly brown the garlic, very slowly.

Add shrimp and turn heat to high. Add lemon juice, sherry or cognac and paprika. Stir well, then saut̩, stirring briskly until the shrimp turn pink and curl Рabout 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and transfer shrimp with oil and sauce to a warm plate or serve right from the pan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you to be near fresh seafood...I grew up hating to eat all sea creatures but living in the Northwest; a bad combination. Now I love it, but I'm landlocked. I like your blog--keep those exotic-seeming ideas coming! I love anything from far away...do you have any from-another-country herbal tea ideas? I stay away from caffeine but your Moroccan mint tea sounds so good--I know it's probably unsubstitutable, but I'd love an herbal version.

Shelly Connors said...

Hey Erin!
You can use frozen shrimp, but goodness, our pink gulf shrimp are sooo sweet! I was landlocked for two years, so I feel you pain. As for the herbal tea, when I would visit my friend in Puerto Rico, he would make me ginger tea. You can place a peeled slice of ginger, a lemongrass stalk and honey in hot water. Let it steep for about five minutes...yummm! Just came back from Peru..should have a new recipe up shortly!